This Thanksgiving, we encourage you to give thanks to your health, your greatest asset in life.
Below, find six ways you can be mindful of that, and create a healthier, happier Thanksgiving for you and your waistline.
Make the Most of Your Morning: Yoga & Yogurt
Start off strong by fitting in an a.m. stretch session when you wake up. This will leave you feeling relaxed, yet energized for the day ahead. Then follow it up with a healthy breakfast. Skipping this meal to save calories for later in the day can end up leading to an even higher intake overall, since hunger often results in overcompensation at the main meal. Try adding sliced bananas, cinnamon, walnuts, and a slight drizzle of honey to a bowl of plain, low fat Greek yogurt. Six ounces of Greek yogurt contains around 15 grams of protein, which will not only fill you up but also help keep you feeling satisfied until later in the day.
In honor of Halloween and the season of pumpkin everything, we’re replacing bad monsters (300 calorie, 38 grams of sugar pumpkin lattes) with good monsters by inviting this recipe into our kitchen.
The creamy shake is packed full of nutrition and fill-you-up fiber, making it a great choice to add to your weekly, or even daily, breakfast rotation.
Feel free to play around with any toppings, as well as the thickness by adjusting the amount of soy milk you add to the blender. Sometimes we let this green monster spread its mighty power to a bowl, and dive in with our spoon instead of a straw. Regardless, get this good guy on your (table)side.
You’ve put in the hard work. You’ve sweated it out. And likely it was all tough at first. Now that you’ve lost weight, the last thing you’d want to do is pack it back on. So instead, let’s talk about how to keep it off.
80% of those who lose weight gain it right back. We want youto be a part of that other 20%, and we’ve got some tips to make that lifelong goal a little easier.
Follow these 5 rules to help keep that energy going up, and that weight off, forever!
#1: The 80/20 Rule
Keep 80% of the food you eat daily within the clean, good-for-you category. As for the other 20%, let it be fun. This will help you build a positive relationship with food, and prevent you from feeling deprived, which will also help to eliminate your desire to binge on junk food. Balance and moderation are the keys to long term success. Read the rest of this entry »
As summer officially comes to a close today, we’re bringing you a few pumpkin breakfast ideas to wakeup your autumn tastebuds. You’ll find all of the recipes below packed with both real pumpkin and oats, a favorite fall combination of ours. Both ingredients are filled with fiber, which means together, they’ll easily leave you feeling satisfied well into lunchtime. Studies show when you eat foods heavy on fiber, you can feel full on fewer calories. That’s clearly good for your waistline. Now, let’s make it good for your tastebuds, too, by creating a heavenly, pumpkin-pie-in-a-bowl meal.
Although similarly spiced, you can guarantee the following recipes are all better for your health than a slice of pie, but perhaps even creamier and certainly easier to create, too. From a warm, to a chocolatey, to a make-ahead option, you pick your choice. Then say hello to fall with a bright dose of orange on your spoon.
Since 40+ million Americans eat pizza on any given day, we decided it’s time to turn one of the nation’s favorite junk foods into a meal with more merit. Your average slice packs in more fat, sodium and refined “bad” carbs than can ever be claimed healthy. Enter the deep dish arena and you run the risk of piling 770 calories onto your plate in just one slice. Yikes!
Luckily, pizza has the potential to be an award-winning meal if you power it up with the right ingredients and give its crust some care. In fact, it presents the perfect platform to load up on summer veggies, which you’ll see in many of the recipes included below. Let your mood and your meal help you choose which to try first!
8 recipes to power up your pizza:
Lizzie Myers, August 20, 2013
Your mother wasn’t lying to you: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. A hearty breakfast gives you energy so you can start the day right. It also kick starts your metabolism for the rest of the day, so your body is prepared to digest any food you put into it. Without breakfast, your body feels starved and your metabolism slows down to conserve energy. For those dieters who feel that they are “saving calories” by skipping an AM meal, this tactic has been proven to backfire. After not eating over night, you need some nourishment. Forgoing breakfast will cause you to become famished by lunchtime, often resulting in an afternoon binge fest.