5 Healthy H20 Infusions for SummerPosted: July 22, 2014
Summertime – the livin’ is easy, and so is cultivating that slightly sweat-drenched look. This time of year, step outside and it often doesn’t take more than a few blocks till you end up in your own perspiration party. The best way to celebrate? Hydration, hydration, hydration – in a form that’ll get your taste buds movin’. (And maybe some deodorant, too.)
Every cell, tissue and organ in your body needs water to function correctly, and thus staying hydrated is crucial to your health. (Approx. 60% of your body weight is water!) However, the solution isn’t reaching for a sugar-loaded soda or juice. If you really want to cheers to your health, H20 is the way to go, but that doesn’t mean you can’t dress up your cup with a little extra jazz. Get ready to cue those party tunes – we’ve got 5 flavor infusions that’ll bring a guilt-free party to your H20.
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 gallon of water
- 1 large jar/pitcher
- Wooden spoon
- Ice cubes
- Combination from below, or any combination of your choice
What to do:
- Place 2 cups of water in pitcher. Choose a combination of ingredients to place in the pitcher.
- Use the wooden spoon to lightly muddle the ingredients – I.e., gently mash them into the bottom of the jar to release some of their flavor, but not to completely disintegrate them.
- Add remaining water. Stir, and adjust to taste.
- Drink as is, over ice, or refrigerate overnight for optimal flavor.
The colorful combinations:
Cool as a Cucumber (and Lime)
1 cucumber, thinly sliced round
1-2 limes, scrubbed and thinly sliced round
1/2 cup of mint leaves, rinsed
Strawberry Basil Forever
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1/2 packed cup fresh basil leaves
3/4 ripe pineapple, core and skin removed, sliced or cubed
1 orange, scrubbed and thinly sliced round
1/4 cup shaved coconut pieces, optional
2 lemons, scrubbed and thinly sliced round
2 Tbsp. sliced ginger
1 cups blackberries, optional
2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
2 limes, scrubbed and thinly sliced round
1/2 packed cup cilantro
Other ideas: Use seltzer water for a fizzy twist, add a bit of honey or agave syrup for notably tart fruit, play with spices like cinnamon, cayenne or curry, and other herbs like lavender or rosemary