Meatless MondayPosted: October 22, 2012
Wild Mushroom and Barley Risotto
Yields: 6 servings, 1 1/4 cups each
Total Time: 1 hr
Prep Time: 1 hr
- 6 cup(s) vegetable, mushroom, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup(s) water
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 3 cup(s) mixed wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup(s) pearl barley, rinsed
- 1/2 cup(s) red wine
- 6 cup(s) baby arugula
- 1/3 cup(s) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter
- 2 teaspoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Adjust heat to maintain a steady simmer.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, 2 to 3 minutes. Add barley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute more. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add 1/2 cup hot broth to the barley and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup hot broth at a time and stirring until the liquid has been absorbed after each addition, adjusting the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, until the barley is tender and creamy but still somewhat firm, 35 to 45 minutes. (You might not use all the broth.)
- Stir in arugula and cook, stirring, until it is wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese, butter, and vinegar. Season with pepper.Carb Servings: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat. Carbohydrate Servings: 3. Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (32% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Magnesium (14% dv), excellent source of beta-glucan.